Lifting Your Spirits: seven tools for coping with illness
30, Jul 2009
@ 2:30 PM - 5:30 PM
Janki Foundation Offices, 449/451 High Road, London NW10 2JJ, United Kingdom
The Janki Foundation email@example.com
An experiential workshop for healthcare practitioners, therapists and others involved in supporting patients with serious or terminal illness and disability. The workshop will enable participants to explore seven self-support ‘tools’ which can be used during illness to enhance well-being and meet needs on all levels: physical, emotional, mental and spiritual. Participants will consider how these tools might be introduced to patients as part of care and support programmes.
The workshop will be facilitated by Jan Alcoe, a registered hypnotherapist, writer and trainer in healthcare and author of ‘Lifting Your Spirits: seven tools for coping with illness’, a booklet and CDs for people experiencing serious illness (published in 2008 by the Janki Foundation for Global Health Care). The materials will be introduced on the course and were written by Jan as a result of her own experience of serious illness, including cancer.
The workshop will cover the 7 Tools for coping with illness:
- Meditation: drawing on our inner resources
- Visualisation: using the power of the mind to cope with stress, pain and anxiety
- Play and laughter: building resilience and seeing the lighter side
- Appreciation: as a route to fulfillment
- Creativity: expressing ourselves in our own way
- Listening: connecting with others through being fully present
- Reflection: reflecting on how far we have come, not how far we have to go…
To register, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday 24th July.
This event is free of charge (voluntary contributions welcome).